Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Mrs Ackroyd's Band - Parkgate Folk Club 15/12/2005

There are some acts that come into a certain category that is probably politely labelled "Mediocre." I can't really describe just what it is, but this is another of those acts, perhaps along with Jez Lowe, who you read about here.

Mrs Ackroyd's Band is led by Les Barker - a "performance poet" who looks to me a little like Benny Hill got a bit old, sporting a rather dreadful cardigan that has a hint of being an old friend rather than a stage prop. Poor Les was full of cold, which probably didn't help much, and he seemed to be rather bent and insipid. All that aside, I have no doubt that Les has an acid wit that reveals itself in some of the excellent lyrics he produces, notably for me the bang up to date political satire that makes up his best work, eg "Tony Blair's Picnic" and he no doubt has his serious side too - he clearly has a good heart.

Les is accompanied by a band: Chris Harvey on a keyboard/synth that mostly sounds like a 1970's sci-fi movie soundtrack that also provides karioke style backing tracks. Alison Younger on vocals and Hillary Spencer also on vocals. I think I should just say that despite Les' writing talents, this band is just "not my cup of tea" and I was disappointed - having said that, most of the audience seemed to love it, many seemed familiar with the material too, confirming a long running affection for this act.

Not for me though, I'll be passing on this one in future.

No comments: