Thursday, May 26, 2005

Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies at Parkgate Folk Club - 26th May 2005

Now I have to say in advance of writing further that whilst this is not going to be a rave review, the first I will have written here that has any real critisism, I fully appreciate that these folk are very talented, very popular and they are out there performing and I'm not.

I just didn't seem to be able to get too much out of this gig, and it's troubled me a little because I like to like music. Gill too has expressed disquiet, and is reserving judgement until we have given them a second chance. Certainly Jez Lowe has written some fine songs, we heard Black Diamonds on a CD over the weekend and it is already growing on us, but there is an overall naivity in his song-writing that doesn't seem to work for me, and this has been underlined by listening to others at the Chester Folk Festival where I found he original material to be lacking when compared to the wealth of traditional and older songs that are around.

So maybe I'm just an old traditionalist?

Anyway Jez Lowe's band are pretty good, if a bit wooden (shy even!) in fact the young man who plays the pipes and keyboards is apparantly a champion piper, and I think I've said enough - I couldn't even come close!

On a technical note, the band features a lovely smooth 5 string electric bass and a 5 string violin.

No comments: